My dream job is to start a non-profit organization that grows, donates, and sells organically-grown fruits and vegetables. I am currently a senior studying Horticultural Science with an emphasis in fruit and vegetable production at Texas A&M University. With these steps in mind, I feel I am on the right track towards fully realizing my professional aspirations. And as I reflect on my last semester at A&M, I strongly believe that my studies here concerning the science of growing fruits and vegetables have given me a solid foundation. The knowledge I have gained, coupled with my innate desire to give back to the community, has provided me with the necessary tools to start a non-profit organization. I always envisioned myself pursuing a career that would involve working with others in a community-type setting. It is only quite recently that I began to truly make this dream a reality. In the summer of 2016, I began volunteering at ANUME Foundation, a non-profit organization that grows and donates organic produce in La Grange, Texas. During this time, I was working towards obtaining a degree in Sociology at the University of Tampa. My experiences at ANUME inspired me to apply to Texas A&M’s Horticulture Undergraduate program to pursue a career in Horticulture. Once I transferred to A&M, I began volunteering at ANUME year-round. I gained insight into what it takes to create a successful non-profit. I supplemented this with some more in-depth, online research. One of the key things I learned is that starting a non-profit is in no way any easier than starting a for-profit company. To start, I would need to come up with both a name and a mission statement for my organization. I would also have to apply for an IRS tax exemption and a state tax exemption. Following this, I would need to draft bylaws, appoint directors, hold a meeting of the board, and obtain certain licenses and permits pertaining to my organization. Upon completion of these steps I could obtain 501(c)(3) status. As I mentioned earlier, my time at ANUME afforded me some valuable learning experiences. Of particular note was familiarizing myself with land suitable for organic farming practices. In envisioning the home for my non-profit, I researched many properties in close range to Houston, and found that I too would start my non-profit in La Grange. Ideally, I would like to purchase land no larger than 20 acres. Ten of those acres would be dedicated to farming, and with the remaining ten allocated for to housing. Prior to purchasing any land, I would scout for members of my team, which would consist of a plan production specialist and a land management operator (with at least three people working under each of them). Along with the land crew, I would like to include a social media director to spread the word about my non-profit and its mission. This could serve to bring in volunteers, donations, and overall awareness concerning the importance of sustainable agriculture. As for a business model, I plan on donating 65% of the produce and selling the other 35% to fund the organization. I am familiar with the food shelters that we donated our produce to in La Grange. I plan on establishing a relationship with them and other institutions such as crisis centers, family planning centers, etc. For the saleable produce, I would hope to become the main supplier to local restaurants. I also plan on applying for grants to ensure the organization has additional financial support. Now that I have run through the logistics of starting and running a non-profit, I find that it is important to explain the impetus behind creating this type of venture. Many of my classes at A&M have taught me the importance of food security on a global and local scale. Not everyone has easy access to nutritious, clean food, especially low-income families. Through my non-profit, want to grow nutritious, organic, and beautiful produce that has the power to impact a community. I want to witness the effects of my work first-hand and truly invigorate the lives of others by giving them a means to thrive. Ultimately, I want my farm to not only be a place of food production, but also a space of love and knowledge that people can call home. I believe that life is about making meaningful, and true human connections and giving back to the world. I hope to use that opportunity to make it a safer and overall healthier place to live.